Summer Camp with Camp High Hopes is operated by a full-time, all-volunteer staff, many of which have a bleeding disorder and were themselves campers here in the past. We have an average of 25-30 counselors not including medical staff. Our staff is entirely devoted to our campers during their week with us. While we have a lot of fun, your child’s safety is always our main concern. Our staff members are equipped with walkie-talkies so that they can always contact the Infirmary or the Camp Directors.
Requirements for Counselors:
- All Camp High Hopes staff members must be 18 years old.
- All staff members undergo an extensive background check and must be cleared by the NYS Sex Offender Registry before they are accepted by CHH. These requirements are implemented by our Camp Directors.
- Our camper to counselor ratio is approximately 8 campers to 3 counselors which exceeds NYS requirements.
- All counselors are intensively trained and the Camp Directors are fully involved and available to give guidance and answer questions 24 hours a day if needed.
What do our counselors do?
- Our cabin counselors see that your child is well rested, get them to their activities on time and prepared, not to mention getting them through the shower daily and making sure that they brush their teeth!
- All of our counselors are fully active in the daily schedule with our campers. Some may be in charge of specific activities while others participate in the activities with the campers and make sure that they are having fun while keeping them safe.
Camp Medical Staff
Our Health Director is a pediatric Nurse Practitioner specializing in bleeding disorders. The balance of our medical staff includes other nurses, some also specializing in bleeding disorders, and a paramedic may also join us. We have a minimum of 3 medical staff at all times. Medical attention for your child is always just moments away.
Requirements for Medical Staff:
- Our Health Director must be, at minimum, an RN specializing in bleeding disorders.
- All medical staff must be at least 18 years of age, and have current NYS certification.
- All medical staff must also undergo the same background check as our counselors and be cleared by the NYS Sex Offender Registry.
- There is a dedicated, fully stocked Infirmary on site.
- The Infirmary complies with all NYS Department of Health requirements, the strictest in the US.
- Our Health Director resides in the infirmary, which is equipped with sleeping quarters for any campers or staff who may become ill.
- Camp High Hopes also has a dedicated vehicle for use by the medical staff in case of an emergency/illness that cannot be taken care of in the Infirmary.
- All of our medical staff are on call 24 hours a day.
What is our Medical Staff equipped to deal with at camp?
- Individuals with severe, moderate and mild Hemophilia and/or von Willebrands.
- Campers and counselors on prophylaxis, as well as on demand treatments as needed.
- Infusions for both campers and staff with or without ports.
- Administering medications (oral, aerial or IV,) to campers and staff on schedule.
- Everything from fevers and illness to injuries and bug bites.